STEERING COMMITTEE - history and function
The first Steering Committee of the International Chemistry Olympiad (SC IChO) was created in the year 1992 as a response to the problems that occurred after the political changes in Europe in the years 1989-1992 that had as their consequence the existence of new states, and consequently a rapid increase of the number of participating countries in the IChO. The existence of the SC IChO was later incorporated into the IChO regulations as § 8.
(1) The long term work involved in organizing the International Chemistry Olympiads is coordinated by the Steering Committee.
(2) Members of the Steering Committee are elected by the International Jury by a secret ballot to serve a two year term. There must be at least one person from each of the following regions: the Americas, Asia and Europe. Other three members can come from any region. The term of the elected committee begins on the 1st day after the IChO. Members are elected for no more than two consecutive terms.
(3) There are the following ex-officio members of the Steering Committee:
a) a representative of the current IChO,
b) a representative of the immediately preceding IChO,
c) representatives of the subsequent two IChOs,
d) the immediate past chair of the SC (for one year only)
(4) The incoming Steering Committee elects its own Chair from among its elected members at a meeting held before the committee’s term begins.
a) calls and chairs the meetings of the Steering Committee,
b) calls and chairs the business meetings of the International Jury dealing with general problems of future International Chemistry Olympiads,
c) may invite non-voting guests to the meetings of the Steering Committee after consultation with the host of the meeting,
d) has the right to call extraordinary meetings of the International Jury when necessary.
(5) The Steering Committee:
a) provides organizational oversight for the International Chemistry Olympiad, b) proposes items for consideration at the International Jury sessions. c) may co-opt 1–3 non-voting members for their particular expertise for periods of one year, d) may invite representatives of confirmed future IChOs
(6) The Steering Committee is not empowered to make any decisions affecting the International Chemistry Olympiad that would interfere with the duties and responsibilities of the International Jury (see § 6 and 7).
The business meetings of the Steering Committee are held during the current IChO. Besides that an annual meeting must be hosted in the organizing country at least five months prior to the IChO.
The MINUTES of the Steering Committee meetings held in 2012 – 2015 are available to download.